Lawrenceville, NJ, May 8, 2019 – MDAdvantage Insurance Company is pleased to announce seven 2019 EJI Excellence in Medicine Scholarship Fund recipients, who have each received a scholarship to use for their medical or healthcare education. The scholarship funds were raised from this year’s Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® program, held on May 1, 2019, at Park Château Estate & Gardens in East Brunswick, New Jersey. This year’s scholarship contributions brings the total to $760,000 over the past ten years.
MDAdvantage and the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation created the scholarship fund in 2009 to meet the demonstrated need to support healthcare education and to retain medical talent in New Jersey. Paul J. Hirsch, MD, Chairman of the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Foundation, stated, “The mission of the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation is to promote and encourage excellence in medical care and healthcare for the citizens of New Jersey. As healthcare leaders, we have an obligation to pave the way for our future healthcare providers so that they may continue the tradition of quality healthcare delivery and innovation in our state.”
The 2019 scholarship recipients, all of whom graduate this spring, include:
- Fernando Arias of Garfield, NJ (Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School)
- Nicole Caltabiano of Washington Township, NJ (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine)
- Jodie Kunkel of Hackettstown, NJ (Rutgers School of Health Professions, Physician Assistant Program)
- A. Michael Luciani of Northfield, NJ (Cooper Medical School of Rowan University)
- Christina McArdle of Clark, NJ (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine)
- Morit Segui of Newark, NJ (Rutgers New Jersey Medical School)
- Robert Vagueiro of Hillside, NJ (Seton Hall University School of Health and Medical Sciences, Physician Assistant Program)
MDAdvantage Chairman and CEO Patricia A. Costante hosted approximately 300 attendees at the May 1st awards ceremony to pay tribute to a group of seven outstanding New Jersey physicians and healthcare leaders who have impacted the delivery of healthcare in New Jersey and around the nation. The coveted EJI Excellence in Medicine Awards are among the highest honors given in New Jersey’s medical community. The 2019 EJI Excellence in Medicine award winners included:
- Outstanding Healthcare Executive Award: Gary S. Horan, FACHE
- Edward J. Ill Physician’s Award®: Roger K. Strair, MD, PhD
- Outstanding Medical Educator Award: Stephen Garrett, PhD
- Outstanding Medical Educator Award: Bonita F. Stanton, MD
- Verice M. Mason Community Service Leader Award: David S. Kountz, MD, MBA (On behalf of Hackensack Meridian Health)
- Outstanding Scientist Award: William C. Gause, PhD
- Peter W. Rodino, Jr., Citizen’s Award®: Jack Morris
MDAdvantage, a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance, proudly sponsors the state’s longest-running medical awards program to recognize New Jersey’s healthcare efforts. “Our physicians and healthcare leaders are among the top in the nation,” said Patricia A. Costante. “We must continue to support the development and education of physicians so all New Jersey families can continue to have access to the very best healthcare. I am grateful for the generous support we received this year from many organizations and individuals, and would like to specifically acknowledge RWJBarnabas Health, who joined MDAdvantage as a 2019 Distinguished Scholarship Society member.”
To learn more about this year’s honorees and their perspectives on healthcare, see the Spring 2019 issue of MDAdvisor. For more information on MDAdvisor, including subscription and advertisement opportunities, go to www.MDAdvantageonline.com/MDAdvisor.
The Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Foundation is now accepting nominations for the 2020 awards program, with a deadline for submissions of August 2, 2019. For more information about the awards program and the nomination process, visit www.EJIawards.org.
About MDAdvantage: MDAdvantage Insurance Company is a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance and the publisher of MDAdvisor. For more information on MDAdvantage, call 888-355-5551 or visit www.MDAdvantageonline.com.
Front Row (l to r):
Roger Strair, MD, PhD; Bonita Stanton, MD; Stephen Garrett, PhD
Back Row (l to r):
Paul Hirsch, MD; Gary Horan, FACHE; Jack Morris; David Kountz, MD, MBA; Patricia Costante, FACHE
Front Row (l to r):
Christina McArdle; Nicole Caltabiano; Moris Segui; Jodie Kunkel
Back Row (l to r):
Paul Hirsch, MD; Patricia Costante, FACHE; A. Michael Luciani; Fernando Arias; Robert Vagueiro; George Heinrich, MD