Lawrenceville, NJ, May 1, 2018 – MDAdvantage Insurance Company is pleased to announce seven 2018 Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Scholarship Fund recipients, who will each receive a scholarship to use for their medical education. MDAdvantage and the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation created the scholarship fund in 2009 to meet the demonstrated need to support healthcare education and retain medical talent in New Jersey.
Paul J. Hirsch, MD, Chairman of the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Foundation, stated, “As healthcare leaders, we have an obligation to pave the way for our future healthcare providers so that they may continue the tradition of quality healthcare delivery and innovation in our state.”
The 2018 scholarship recipients are:
- Tara Beck of Marlton, NJ (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2019)
- Sheila De Young of Oak Ridge, NJ (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2019)
- Karl Hoegler of Monroe Township, NJ (Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Class of 2018)
- Breanna Mesa of Wayne, NJ (Seton Hall University School of Health and Medical Sciences Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2019)
- William Davis of Paulsboro, NJ (Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Class of 2020)
- Kimberly Choi of Cherry Hill, NJ (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, Class of 2019)
- Solimar Colon of Fair Lawn, NJ (Rutgers School of Health Professions Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2019)
All profits from this year’s Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® will be dedicated to healthcare student scholarships. This year’s scholarships bring the total scholarship contributions to $670,000 provided to 57 students over the past nine years.
The Scholarship Fund is a perfect fit with the awards program named after Edward J. Ill, MD, a New Jersey physician who was a pioneer in promoting medical education in ways that set the national standard. While the longstanding awards program has been honoring physicians since 1939, it did not take on a charitable purpose until MDAdvantage began sponsoring the event in 2003.
“The mission of the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® is not only to highlight the remarkable accomplishments of our honorees, but also to support the future of medicine in New Jersey,“ says Dr. Hirsch.
In addition, MDAdvantage also announces the 2018 Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine award winners, honoring leaders in New Jersey’s medical community.
The 2018 Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Honorees are:
- Outstanding Healthcare Executive Award: Andre Goy, MD, MS
- Edward J. Ill Physician’s Award®: Soly Baredes, MD
- Verice M. Mason Community Service Leader Award: Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth
- Outstanding Scientist Award: Pranela Rameshwar, PhD
- Outstanding Scientist Award: Ana K. Stankovic, MD, PhD, MSPH
- Peter W. Rodino, Jr., Citizen’s Award®: Steve Kalafer
“Our physicians are among the top providers in the nation,” said Patricia A. Costante, Chairman and CEO of MDAdvantage. “We must continue to support the development and education of physicians so New Jersey families can continue to have access to the high quality healthcare to which we have become accustomed. MDAdvantage is honored to have this opportunity to support efforts that invest in the future of New Jersey’s healthcare system.”
This year’s scholarships will be presented at the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® ceremony on May 2, 2018, at Park Château Estate & Gardens in East Brunswick, New Jersey. For more information on this annual event, contact the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation at 609-803-2350 or visit www.EJIawards.org.
MDAdvantage Insurance Company, a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance, sponsors the awards program. For more information on MDAdvantage, call 888-355-5551 or visit www.MDAdvantageonline.com.