Lawrenceville, NJ, May 7, 2020 – MDAdvantage Insurance Company is pleased to announce nine 2020 EJI Excellence in Medicine Scholarship Fund recipients, who have each received a scholarship to use for their medical, dental, pharmacy or physician assistant education.
The scholarship funds were raised through the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® program, even though this year’s awards banquet scheduled for May 6, 2020, was canceled in light of the ongoing concerns regarding COVID-19. The 2020 and the incoming 2021 scholarship students will be recognized at next year’s event, scheduled for May 5, 2021.
Two new pharmaceutical scholarships were added to the scholarship program this year, supporting students from the Rutgers Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy and Fairleigh Dickinson School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. This year’s $120,000 in scholarship contributions brings the total to $880,000 over the past eleven years.
Paul J. Hirsch, MD, Chairman of the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation, said, “As healthcare leaders, we have an obligation to pave the way for future healthcare providers so that they may continue the tradition of quality care delivery and innovation in our state. This year marks the 10th anniversary of the first scholarships bestowed by the Foundation, and we are proud to continue to grow the scholarship fund in an effort to retain medical talent in New Jersey.”
The 2020 scholarship recipients include:
- Laura Alban of Nutley, NJ (Seton Hall University School of Health and Medical Sciences, Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2020)
- Molly deButts of Randolph, NJ (Rutgers School of Health Professions, Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2021)
- Christian DiLiberto of Ocean Grove, NJ (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2020)
- Bassel Fattal of Woodland Park, NJ (Fairleigh Dickinson School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Class of 2021)
- Brittany Martinez of River Edge, NJ (Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Class of 2020)
- Meaghan McCormick of West Orange, NJ (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, Class of 2020)
- Daniella Olan of Bridgewater, NJ (Rutgers Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Class of 2020)
- Melissa Olsakowski of Randolph, NJ (Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Class of 2020)
- Nicole Silva of Newark, NJ (Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Class of 2020)
MDAdvantage is proud to support these efforts, particularly at a time when healthcare providers are on the frontline of the COVID-19 battle. “Our physicians and healthcare leaders in New Jersey are among the top in the nation,” said Patricia A. Costante. “We must continue to support the development and education of physicians so our community can continue to have access to the very best healthcare.”
For more information about the awards program and the 2021 event, visit www.EJIawards.org.
MDAdvantage is a leading medical professional liability insurance company that is committed to supporting physician initiatives that increase patient safety, educate the healthcare community and invest in the future of the healthcare system. In addition to sponsoring the EJI Excellence in Medicine awards program, MDAdvantage® also publishes MDAdvisor, a peer-reviewed, MEDLINE®-indexed journal for the medical community. For more information on MDAdvantage, call 888-355-5551 or visit www.MDAdvantageonline.com.