Lawrenceville, NJ, May 12, 2021 – MDAdvantage Insurance Company and the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation are pleased to announce 10 new EJI Excellence in Medicine Scholarship Fund recipients, each of whom have received a scholarship to use for their medical or healthcare education. The scholarship funds were raised from this year’s EJI Excellence in Medicine Awards™ virtual event, held on May 5, 2021.
This year marks a major milestone for the scholarship program, which has surpassed $1 million raised since the fund was initiated in 2009 to meet the demonstrated need to support healthcare education and to retain medical talent in New Jersey. Paul J. Hirsch, MD, Chairman of the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation, stated, “The mission of the EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation is to recognize and encourage excellence in medical care and healthcare for the citizens of New Jersey, including patient care, teaching and education, research, management, leadership and civic engagement. As healthcare leaders, we have an obligation to pave the way for our future healthcare providers so that they may continue the tradition of quality healthcare delivery and innovation in our state.”
The 2021 scholarship recipients include:
- Charris Allen of Newark, NJ (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, Class of 2021)
- Nathalia Arias-Alzate of Morristown, NJ (Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Class of 2021)
- Brenda Arthur of Teaneck, NJ (Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Class of 2021)
- Tara Fisher of Vernon, NJ (Seton Hall University School of Health and Medical Sciences, Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2021)
- Jasmine Flowers of Watchung, NJ (Rutgers School of Health Professions, Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2021)
- Catherine Hahn of Westwood, NJ (Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine, Class of 2021)
- Erin Hoag of Berlin, NJ (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2021)
- Ioannis Serris of Tinton Falls, NJ (Fairleigh Dickinson University School of Pharmacy, Class of 2021)
- Afra Guia Antoinette Trinidad of Edison, NJ (Rutgers Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Class of 2021)
- Britney Wilson of Newark, NJ (Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Class of 2022)
MDAdvantage, a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance, proudly sponsors New Jersey’s longest-running healthcare awards program. “We truly appreciate the generosity of those who contributed to the awards program, especially in a year that has been challenging for everyone,” said Patricia A. Costante. “MDAdvantage is proud to partner with the Excellence in Medicine Scholarship Honor Roll members, most notably RWJBarnabas Health, who share our commitment to investing in the future of medicine and improving access to healthcare for New Jersey residents.”
This year’s virtual event paid tribute to a group of 11 outstanding New Jersey physicians, scientists and healthcare leaders who have impacted the delivery of healthcare in New Jersey and around the nation. The coveted EJI Excellence in Medicine Awards™ are among the highest honors given in New Jersey’s medical community.
The 2021 EJI Excellence in Medicine award recipients included:
- Outstanding Medical Educator Award: Linda Boyd, DO
- Outstanding Healthcare Executive Award: John F. Bonamo, MD, MS
- Outstanding Healthcare Executive Award: Steven K. Libutti, MD
- Edward J. Ill Physician’s Award®: Marco A. Zarbin, MD, PhD
- Verice M. Mason Community Service Leader Award: Eric G. Jahn, MD (On behalf of the Eric B. Chandler Health Center)
- Outstanding Scientist Award: Vivian Bellofatto, PhD
- Outstanding Scientist Award: David S. Perlin, PhD
- Peter W. Rodino, Jr. Citizen’s Award®: Trish O’Keefe, PhD, RN
- Special Award for Innovation: Joseph V. DiTrolio, MD
- Special Award for Innovation: Charles J. Gatt, Jr., MD, & Michael G. Dunn, PhD
To learn more about this year’s honorees and their perspectives on healthcare, see the Spring 2021 issue of MDAdvisor. For more information on MDAdvisor, including subscription and advertisement opportunities, go to MDAdvantageonline.com/MDAdvisor.
The EJI Excellence in Medicine Foundation is now accepting nominations for the 2022 awards program, with a deadline for submissions of August 6, 2021. For more information about the awards program and the nomination process, visit EJIFoundation.org.
About MDAdvantage: MDAdvantage Insurance Company is a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance and the publisher of MDAdvisor. For more information on MDAdvantage, call 888-355-5551 or visit MDAdvantageonline.com.