Lawrenceville, NJ, April 25, 2017 – MDAdvantage Insurance Company is pleased to announce seven Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Scholarship Fund recipients for 2017. MDAdvantage and the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Foundation created the scholarship fund in 2009 in recognition of a demonstrated need to support healthcare education and retain medical talent in New Jersey.
All profits from this year’s Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® will be dedicated to healthcare student scholarships. This year’s scholarships bring the total scholarship contributions to $580,000 provided to 50 students over the past eight years.
The Scholarship Fund is a perfect fit with the awards program named after Edward J. Ill, MD, a New Jersey physician who was a pioneer in promoting medical education in ways that set the national standard. While the longstanding awards program has been honoring physicians since 1939, it did not take on a charitable purpose until MDAdvantage began sponsoring the event in 2003.
Paul J. Hirsch, MD, Chairman of the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Foundation, stated, “The mission of the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® is not only to highlight the remarkable accomplishments of our honorees, but also to support the future of medicine in New Jersey. As healthcare leaders, we have an obligation to pave the way for our future healthcare providers so that they may continue the tradition of quality healthcare delivery and innovation in our state.”
The 2017 scholarship recipients are:
- Michael Cacoilo of Edison, NJ (Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Class of 2017)
- Kathryn Eckert of Middletown, NJ (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, Class of 2018)
- Sydney Hyder of Moorestown, NJ (Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Class of 2017)
- Timothy Lopez of Parlin, NJ (Seton Hall University School of Health and Medical Sciences Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2018)
- Mark McShane of Cherry Hill, NJ (Cooper Medical School of Rowan University, Class of 2019)
- Mary Thompson of Burlington, NJ (Rutgers School of Dental Medicine, Class of 2017)
- Devin Walford Godwin of Somerset, NJ (Rutgers School of Health Professions Physician Assistant Program, Class of 2017)
“Our physicians are among the top providers in the nation,” said Patricia A. Costante, Chairman and CEO of MDAdvantage. “We must continue to support the development and education of physicians so New Jersey families can continue to have access to the high quality healthcare to which we have become accustomed. MDAdvantage is honored to have this opportunity to support efforts that invest in the future of New Jersey’s healthcare system.”
The 2017 Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Honorees are:
- Outstanding Medical Educator Award: John W. Sensakovic, MD, PhD
- Outstanding Healthcare Executive Award: Alexander J. Hatala, FACHE
- Edward J. Ill Physician’s Award®: Maria Soto-Greene, MD
- Verice M. Mason Community Service Leader Award: Chantal Brazeau, MD, on behalf of the Rutgers New Jersey Medical School Student Family Health Center
- Outstanding Scientist Award: Larry Hirsch, MD
- Outstanding Scientist Award: Nancy D. Connell, PhD
- Peter W. Rodino, Jr., Citizen’s Award®: Alfred F. Tallia, MD, MPH
This year’s scholarships will be presented at the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Awards® ceremony on May 3, 2017, at Park Château Estate & Gardens in East Brunswick, New Jersey. For more information on this annual event, contact the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Foundation at 609-803-2350 or visit www.EJIawards.org.
The awards program is sponsored by MDAdvantage Insurance Company of New Jersey, a leading provider of medical professional liability insurance. For more information on MDAdvantage, call 888-355-5551 or visit www.MDAdvantageonline.com.